Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gardening

A few months ago our bishop announced that in November we are going to have a ward fair. The catch was that he wanted every family in the ward to bring something to eat to the fair that they had grown in their own garden. Zach and I didn't have a garden so we had to plant one. We decided to start very simple and built a square foot garden. I didn't want to get in too deep because I've never gardened by myself and I certainly am not my parents or grandparents. We planted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, spinach, coriander and some flowers (zinnias and pansies). We may end up bringing just flowers to our county fair but at least we're trying. Anyway, we do have some sprouts and I am very excited about them. The big sprouts are the zinnias but hey, at least something is growing.

Our garden!
These are the zinnias! They're huge!
If you look hard you can see the broccoli and califlower sprouts.
This is a Where's Waldo. There is one little carrot sprout. Can you find it?


On top of the gardening Zach and I have finally had time to work a little bit on the backyard. A few tennents before us got the great idea of laying some bricks to create a little patio area. The only problem was that they got about half way done and stopped. When we got here everything was overgrown, most of the stones were covered in dirt and there were weeds everywhere. We pulled the weeds and finished laying the stones. I also got to buy some flowers to put on my new patio. I'm very excited about it. I wish I had some before and after pictures but you'll have to settle for after pictures. Those of you who saw it before know that this is a huge improvement.
I've discovered I like gardening and working in the yard. It makes you feel good. We're still not done but at least it looks a lot better than when we got here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Loved this gardening post. I'm curious how your garden will do living in Mesa. Can you post some follows ups? Thanks!

Lauri
loresgardens.blogspot.com

Aaron Smith said...

Yeah, there's nothing like eating food from your own garden. We have a new beagle that thinks the same thing. She picked all my eggplants and zucchini to use as chew toys :( At least she doesn't like tomatoes... I've never had carrots do to well in my SFG for some reason. They're always very short. Curious to see how yours grow.

Tessa said...

I had a tough time spotting some of the plants but eventually managed it! I loved the post... very cute. I am also in awe that I have been to your house about 2 dozen times and have never been in your backyard... remind me next time!

Happy Trails...

Lindsy said...

Shan- You do realize that you can take store-bought produce to your fair and claim it as your own, don't you? Would that be dishonest? ;)