Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Grace


Yup, it's official, we're having a baby. And we are so excited!!  It wasn't necessarily our plan to wait 6 years but that's the way it worked out and I'm glad to be done with school so I can focus on this baby.

She will be a girl and her name will be Grace.  Zach didn't have any intuition about the gender but I was pretty sure from the beginning that she was a girl.  Her projected birth date is January 28, 2013.  For posterity's sake I thought I'd record a few thoughts on my experience thus far.

My pregnancy so far has been, I think, pretty typical.  I started getting pretty nauseous at about 6 weeks and stayed really, really nauseous until about 20 weeks.  I puked a lot and Zofran didn't help a lick.  All food was disgusting to me and I had to force myself to choke things down.  Somehow I made it through my last rotation of school, orthopedic surgery!  My preceptors were heaven sent.  They were very patient and always made sure that I ate when I needed to and sat when I needed to.  Despite being sick I never missed a day, never showed up late or left early.  That was another huge blessing.

I've started feeling much better over the past few weeks but I've found that I can't push myself nearly as much as I'm use to.  I have to sit down a lot more often and if I don't eat about every 2 hours, my blood sugar plummets and I'm out for the afternoon.  Food still isn't my friend at all but I'm grateful that I'm to a point where everything doesn't make me sick.  My bedtime has moved way up.  If I'm not in bed by 10:00 PM, I'll throw up.  That has taken some getting used to.

On a positive note, I am feeling much better and starting to recognize my limitations so things are looking up.   For the past week or so I've started to feel her kick and move and I LOVE it.  Mindi gave me some little shoes the other day and I can't wait for her to wear them.  I've been pretty good at not buying everything but I am so excited for this little one to come.  She'll have an amazing dad, who can't wait to meet her as well.  Zach has been amazing!  He had a hard time not being able to help while I was living with my parents so I think he's trying to make up for it.  I can't dote on him enough.    

I still have a hard time believing that I'm going to be a mom.  Despite being so sick, I didn't really believe I was pregnant for a long time.  I would still doubt it but I've seen the pictures.  She's in there and I can't wait to meet her.

3 comments:

LucyH said...

I am seriously so excited for you. How awesome that you know her name already and I'm so sorry that you felt so sick all the way to 20 weeks! We are pregnant again as well and due a couple months after you! Make sure you keep my name on the list for a baby shower invite!:)

Mindi Smith said...

Hooray for baby Grace. She is going to be so loved!

Kenningtons said...

Aaaaahhh! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited for you guys. Your Grace is already a little cutie pie. I'm so happy for you and Zack.